Author Topic: Pokhara (paradise in earth)  (Read 3189 times)

Offline शेर्पा

Pokhara (paradise in earth)
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:02:08 AM »
POKHARA

Few places in the world might have a splendid variety of natural beauty crammed into one small area like valley of Pokhara, the headquarters of Western Development Region. It is a rare combination of the long arrays of snow clad peaks, crystal clear lakes, turbulent rivers with deep gorges and picturesque villages inhabited by simple and frindly ethnic people. Situated at the lap of the panoramic Annapurna Himal, the climate of Pokhara remains favorable all the year round it is neither too warm nor too cold. The monsoon rains are strongest during June to August,

Pokhara is linked with Kathmandu by Prithvi highway and the Indian border of Sunauli in the south by Siddhartha highway; Pokhara has daily regular bus services to and from these places. A new highway under construction is soon to link it with Baglung district. All major cities including Gorkha within the Kingdom have regular to and fro bus services from Pokhara. The 200 km. distance between Kathmandu and Pokhara can be covered by in 7 hours. Royal Nepal and few private airlines operate several daily flights between Kathmandu and Pokhara. The flight taking only 35 minutes proceeds all along the western Himalayan range, which comes to view through the right hand window of the plane.

BEGNAS AND RUPA TAL

These twin lakes lie in the north east of Pokhara valley about 15 km away from the airport. The road to Bengas follows Kathmandu Pokhara Hhighway as far as Sisuwa near the police check post and branches off thru road toward north. It is possible to take a bus ride to the dam side of Begnas from the city. Begnas and Rupa Lake has less visitors then Phewa. Their setting is calmer and more Sylvania. The small hill called Pachbaiya, which separates the two lakes, can be reached in 30 minutes on the foot from the Begnas bus stop. From a convenient point on this hill you can overlook the twin lakes on either side. A terrific view of the long arrays of mountains is another attraction of this hill. These two lakes provide opportunity for fishing, canoeing, sunbathing and bird watching

RIVER GORGES

The Seti River carves a deep course throughout the city area of Pokhara from Bagar in the north to Sita Paila in the south. The deep gorge can be viewed from any bridge over the Seti river: K.I. Singh bridge at Bagar, Mahendra bridge at downtown and Prithivi highway bridge near the bus park. Looking down these bridges you can see the white turbulent flow of the Seti through an incredibly narrow cannon about 46 m. below. Another amazing course is carved by Patale Chhango popularly known as Devin's fall in the southern flank of the Pokhara valley left of Siddhartha highway. At this point the stream overflowing Phewa Lake suddenly collapses and surges down the rocks into a deep gorge, leaping through several potholes before taking a final plunge.

MAHENDRA CAVE

It is another interesting natural site across the Seti River past Batulechour village in the north of Pokhara valley. It is one of the few stalagmite stalactite caves found in Nepal. The cave has not yet been fully explored and it may conceal more then the present first galleries. There is lighting arrangement inside the cave but torchlight is worthwhile to explore the interior.

RAM KRISHNA TOLE

The old bazaar of Ram Krishna Tole and its vicinity provides a glimpse into the traditional ambience of art and architecture of the Pokhara valley. This area with red brick walls, carved windows and tile roofs harbors some interesting temples also.

TEMPLES AND MONASTERIES

Two temples are really worth visiting in the Pokhara area. Bindabasini temple some way between downtown Mahendrapul and Bagar is one of them. It is located on top of a beautiful mound overlooking the most populous area of the Pokhara city. The road to Sarangkot starts from the foot of this mound. It is a much revered Hindu temple where non Hindus are also allowed to enter.
The next one is Barahi temple situated on a small island in the middle of Phewa Tal . A stop at this serene temple after a canoe rids is really worthwhile. .
There is a nice Buddhist monastery on the top of a small forested hill above Matepani east of Mahendrapul. It overlooks the majority of Pokhara area. A little south of this monastery on another small but beautiful hill in a pleasant Sylvania setting lies Bhadrakali temple which is also worth visiting.

TIBETAN VILLAGE

There are two Tibetans village in the vicinity of Pokhara. One of them called Tashiling is in the south past Patale Chhango. The other village by the name of Tashi Palkhel is north of Pokhara at a place called Hyangja on Pokhara Baglung highway. The Tibetan people living in these villages keep thenselves busy by puoducing and trading in woolen carpets and other handicraft items. They also run souvenir shops around lakeside. Some of them work like hawkers selling souvenirs at bargaining price

PHEWA LAKE

Phewa Lake, the second largest lake in the Kingdom roughly measuring 1.5 by 4 km, is the center of all attractions in Pokhara. It is the largest and most enchanting of the three lakes that add to the resplendence of the resort town. The eastern shore, popularly known as Lakeside or Baidam, is the favorite home base for travellers and is where most of the hotels, restaurants and handicraft shops are located.

WORLD PEACE PAGODA

World Peace Pagoda, a massive Buddhist stupa, is situated on top of a hill on the southern shore of Phewa Lake. Besides being an impressive sight in itself, the shrine is a great vantage point which offers spectacular views of the Annapurna range and Pokhara city. You can get there by crossing the lake by boat and then hiking up the hill.

DEVI'S FALL

Devi?s Fall. Locally known as Patale Chhango (Hell?s Fall), Devi?s Fall (also known as Devin?s or David?s) is an awesome waterfall lying about 2 km south-west of Pokhara airport on the highway to Tansen. Legend has it that a trekker (Devin, David...) was washed away by the Pardi Khola and mysteriously disappeared down into an underground passage beneath the fall.

GUPTESWAR GUPHA

Gupteswar Gupha is a sacred cave located near Devi?s Fall. The cave is almost 3 km long. It has some big hall-size rooms and some passages. This cave holds special value for Hindus since a phallic symbol of Lord Shiva is preserved here in the condition it was discovered. An entrance fee of Rs. 5 is charged, and taking pictures inside the cave is prohibited.

POKHARA MUSEUM

Pokhara Museum, located between the airport and Mahendra Pul, reflects the ethnic mosaic of western Nepal. The lifestyles and history of ethnic groups such as the Gurung, Thakali and the Tharu are attractively displayed. Open daily, except Tuesdays and holidays, from 10 am to 5 pm

ANNAPURNA MUSEUM

Annapurna Museum, also known as the Natural History Museum, is located at Prithvi Narayan Campus east of the old bazaar. Managed by the Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP), the museum has an exceptional collection of butterflies, insects, birds and models of wildlife as well as samples of various precious and semi-precious stones and volcanic rocks. Open daily, except Saturdays and holidays, from 9 am to 5 pm

www.sherpagroup.org

Offline naughtyboy

Re: Pokhara (paradise in earth)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:56:29 AM »
Thanx bro for information .........i was also there  some months ago but stayed  only a week ? i didnt went Davis fall but had been to all the places around there  also  Begnas Lake which was  bit far away from pokhara city  ....which was i guess approx.  10 kms. but a sad thing occured  there were  no other  persons beside we and we  tried to eat  local fish of that lake but unfortunately  we had to eat of Fish which  had been brought from Janakpur :(
dEAd  mAn  wAlkiNg

Offline शेर्पा

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 08:38:36 AM »
next time dont forget to hit for Davis fall. i beleive its only one in world. i camped in begnas for two nights to take some pic but my bad luck she didn?t show up to say me hi because of cloud

Offline naughtyboy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 08:56:36 AM »
Oh really a sad moment for you bro ..............next  time i be  sure that  i get  to davis fall
dEAd  mAn  wAlkiNg

Offline शेर्पा

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:53 AM »
trust me the time will stop for while when you see davis fall its really amazing

Offline kipa

• love is Life
    • Front Door to Nepal
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:37:47 PM »
never been to pokhara काठमाण्डौ बाट आएको भन्ने थाहा पाउने बित्तीकै पिट्न आउछ भनेर सुनेको
It takes only a minute to get a crush on someone
An hour to like someone
And a day to love someone 
But it takes a lifetime to forget someone

Offline शेर्पा

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 05:59:31 AM »
it was long time back, but now i dont think so !

Offline dorje

• Ma timro Chyangba
  • ~X~दोर्जे~Y~
    • www.grandhotel.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 07:50:40 PM »
wow,,, yoo mahenddra gufa ko pic dekhda feri malai ek palta yaad aayo aba aarko palta pani marina bhane janchhu budi ra choriko saath ma jhappy foto pani khichayera aauchhu heheheheh lOL hehehehe :mare: :mare: :mare: :mare: :mare: :mare:
I'd Give Up EveryThings 4 One Moment Width U 4 One Moment Itz Better Den Life Time Of Never Knowing U.

Offline **dArK_bO!**

• WaItInG FoR U uNtIl I dIe
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »
yeah ma pani  gayeko chaine  yha  malai lane ko cha
'Cause noth!n' lasts forever,And we both know hearts can change,And !t's hard to hold a candle,In the cold November ra!n

Offline SOAD

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 06:25:44 PM »
Yo ta sarhai ramro ra informative post!..WLN ko saan!

Offline kuma

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Really really beautiful place. sadow of fish tail in fewa lake is just wornderful. never feel like to going back home once you go there. but watch out your back from those pick pocketer,clip joint specially area around lake side. single women is not really safe to travel around

Offline dorje

• Ma timro Chyangba
  • ~X~दोर्जे~Y~
    • www.grandhotel.com
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
DAIKO SASURALI GAM HO POKHARAAA HEHEHE CHINTA NA GARUM SATHI HO SABAI LAI SANGAI LIYAR JANCHHU POKHRA GHUMAUNA HEHEHEHEE LlLEHEHEHEHE
I'd Give Up EveryThings 4 One Moment Width U 4 One Moment Itz Better Den Life Time Of Never Knowing U.

Offline yaLch!!

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 08:17:43 PM »
love pokhareli thiti rather than pokhara lolzzzzzzzzz,.i mean pok kanchi haru dammi babbal huncha kya

Offline naughtyboy

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 10:50:26 PM »
its not that worse  kuma  as u  described
dEAd  mAn  wAlkiNg

Offline ангел

• Life 'N' aиg3l
  • luv is like a heaven but hurts like a hell
    • http://samiel4ever.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »
wow ..nice
It Only Takes a Few Seconds To Hurt people You Love & It Can Take Years To Heal

Host By::Love Nepal Network SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use