Author Topic: Nepali Person of the Day  (Read 10142 times)

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
Nepali Person of the Day
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:53:55 AM »
Here i will share you a Person of Nepal who contribute for Nepal in Different Fields and sectors. In every 3 days i will change the person. I will choose the person and comments will be yours about these person.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:55:27 AM by soiamd »

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
Nepali Person of the Day for September 18,2007
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:59:04 AM »

Girija Prasad Koirala (born 1925) is the incumbent Prime Minister of Nepal. He has been elected Prime Minister of Nepal six times, from 1991 to 1994, 1998 to 1999, 2000 to 2001, and from 2006 and 2007. He was the first democratically elected Prime Minister of Nepal since 1959, when his brother BP Koirala and the Nepali Congress party swept the country's first democratic elections. He is also the President of the Nepali Congress Party and leader of the Eight Party Alliance (EPA). Koirala has been active in politics for over sixty years and started his career as a labor leader in the Jute mills of his hometown Biratnagar.

Early life and family

Girija Prasad Koirala was born in Tadi, Saharsha district, in Bihar, India in 1925 [1] when his family was in exile. He is the youngest son of Krishna Prasad Koirala and Divya Koirala. Two of his older brothers, BP Koirala and MP Koirala, also became Prime Ministers of Nepal in the years that followed the family's return to Nepal in 1929. He married Sushma Koirala and has a daughter Sujata Koirala. He studied at Kirori Mal College of Delhi University.

Political career

In 1948 Koirala founded the Nepal Mazdoor Congress, later known as the Nepal Trade Union Congress. Later, in 1952 he became the President of the Morang district Nepali Congress and held that office until he was arrested and imprisoned by King Mahendra following the 1960 royal coup. Upon his release in 1967, Girija Prasad Koirala, along with other leaders and workers of the party, was exiled in India until his return to Nepal in 1979. Koirala was General Secretary of the Nepali Congress Party from 1975 to 1991.[2] Koirala was actively involved in the 1990 Jana Andolan which led to the abrogation of the Panchayat rule and the introduction of a multi-party politics in the country.

First Term (26 May 1991 - 30 November 1994)

He was elected Member of Parliament in 1991 in Nepal's first multi-party democratic elections following the Jana Aandolan from the Morang-1 and Sunsari-5 constituencies. The Nepali Congress won 110 of the 205 seats in the Pratinidhi Sabha, the lower house of parliament. He was subsequently elected the leader of the Nepali Congress parliamentary party and appointed Prime Minister by King Birendra.

During his first term, the house of representatives inacted legislations to liberalize education, media and health sectors in the country. The government also founded the Purwanchal University and the BP Koirala Institute of Health and Sciences (BPKIHS) in the Eastern Development region and granted licenses to private sector to run medical and engineering colleges in various parts of the country. The government also undertook the construction of the BP Memorial Cancer hospital in Bharatpur with assistance from the government of China.

In November 1994 he called for a dissolution of parliament and general elections after a procedural defeat on the floor of the House when 36 Members of Parliament (MPs) of his party went against a government sponsored vote of confidence. This led to the Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist Leninist)-led coalition coming to power in the elections that followed.

Second Term (15 April 1998 - 31 May 1999)

Koirala took over as Prime Minister from Surya Bahadur Thapa following the collapse of the coalition government led by Thapa. Koirala first headed a Nepali Congress minority government until December 25, 1998 after which he headed a three-party coalition government with the Communist Party of Nepal (UML) and the Nepal Sadhbhawana Party.

Third Term (22 March 2000 - 26 July 2001)

Koirala became Prime Minister in 2000 for his third term following the resignation of Krishna Prasad Bhattarai, under whose leadership party had won the Parliamentary Election. Nepali Congress Party had won the election claiming Krishna Prasad Bhattarai would be the Prime Minister, however Girija Prasad Bhattarai led a group of dissident MPs and forced Krishna Prasad Bhattarai to resign or face a no confidence motion. At that time Nepal was fighting a civil war against the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist). During his third term as Prime Minister, his government was plagued by allegations of corruption. Following the massacre in the Royal Palace, Koirala was further criticized for his perceived inability to handle the crisis. Koirala resigned in July 2001 following which the military was mobilized in the civil war for the first time, something Koirala had unsuccessfully attempted to do while in office. He was replaced by former Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, who was elected by majority of members of Nepali Congress.

Fourth Term (30 April 2006 - present)

After the reinstatement of the Nepal House of Representatives, 'Pratinidhi Sabha' on April 24, 2006 following the Loktantra Andolan, Koirala was selected to become Prime Minister by the leaders of the Seven Party Alliance.

The reinstated house of representatives passed laws to strip the King of his powers and bring the Army under civilian control.

Following the promulgation of the interim constitution, Koirala, as the Prime Minister, has been the interim head of state of Nepal.

On 1 April 2007, Koirala was re-elected as Prime Minister to head a new government comprised of the SPA and the CPN (Maoists).

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
Puskar Shah
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
On November 29, 1998 I set out on an 11 year long journey to capture my dream, the dream of riding 390,000-kilometres around the world on my bicycle to spread the message of peace and hope for my country and for the world.  This mission is not about material gain or international fame. It's simply about spreading the message of peace.

If you see a Nepalese guy panting and puffing on a bicycle with a sticker "I ride therefore I am" please yield and for one second think about how you as an individual can contribute to world peace.

This is my nine year and I have already toured 114

countries and hope to complete the world tour in a total of 11 years.  During my tour, I visit schools and clubs in different communities and like to speak about peace, respect for other religions and cultures, living in harmony, respect for human rights and democratic values.  I like to meet civic leaders and exchange views.

After graduation from college, I worked as a school teacher and participated in the Democracy Movement in Nepal in 1990. I was arrested and imprisoned many times for my peace activism. It had a deep impact on me and I decided to embark on a world tour spreading the message of Peace.

I began my journey with only 100 Nepalese Rupees (One Euro) given to me by my mother. I have no official sponsor and have thus far been able to pursue my dream through the kindness and generosity of the many strangers who have befriended me along the way.

When I began my journey nine  years ago, many people did not believe that such a trip was possible and said that I would get no further than India. As of September 2007 I have visited 114 countries in Asia, Asia Pacific, North America, Central America, South America ,Caribbean , African and the Europe.   I would like to climb Mount Everest in 2010 bringing the national flags of all the countries I will have visited by then to the summit.

source : http://www.pushkarshah.com

true nepali icon nepal ko tara vanchu ma taa tapai haru k vannu huncha uha ko bare maa

Offline काली

• wln Friend
Re: Nepali Person of the Day
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »
pushkar shahlai kehi barsa pahila tokyo ma  aayeko bela maile ni bhetne mauka payeko thiye, yetithulo  saashash batulera hamro nepal laai bishwa saamu chinauna khojney timro sapana pura hos!!!

Offline dorje

• Ma timro Chyangba
  • ~X~दोर्जे~Y~
    • www.grandhotel.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
mero pani sabai lai subhakamana jo jo nepali person of the day.... girija bau taa ohhhhhhhhhhhhh hehehehehehe
I'd Give Up EveryThings 4 One Moment Width U 4 One Moment Itz Better Den Life Time Of Never Knowing U.

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »
tyhi vaneko hami prasnt tamang ko kura garchau tara puskar shah jasto hamro prativa hamro gaurab ko name samet lina lai hamrro fursad chaina

Offline dorje

• Ma timro Chyangba
  • ~X~दोर्जे~Y~
    • www.grandhotel.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:19:23 PM »
mero mann mero dill bhitari bata kamana garchhu puskar dai manokamana le sagarmathako uchaiee pani aajha uchha banaowssss
I'd Give Up EveryThings 4 One Moment Width U 4 One Moment Itz Better Den Life Time Of Never Knowing U.

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
Nepali Person of the Day for October 1,2007
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 07:42:59 AM »
Narayan Goap

Narayan Gopal (Nepali: नारायण गोपाल गुरुवाचार्य) is by far the most prominent and popular singer in Nepali music. When people think or talk about Nepali music, the name most associated is that of Narayan Gopal. For most people, he is the singer. He was also an accomplished music composer in his own right. Not only was he gifted with a great voice, he was very versatile. His voice range allowed him to sing songs of every genre. His songs are often richly orchestrated with the sitar, harmonium and the flute. Some of his most popular songs include "Euta Manche Ko Maya le Kati)"(trans. For the Love of One Person), "Jhareko Paat Jhai"(Like a Fallen Leaf), "Yo Samjhine Man Cha"(This Heart remembers) and "Saawan ko jhari bani"(Like the Autumn Rain). Narayan Gopal has been accorded with title "Swor Samrat" (literally, King of Voice) which affirms his position as the supreme virtuoso of Nepali music. His death was due to organ failures, said to have been caused by his notorious drinking. The cassettes and CDs of his music still make significant sales in Nepal.

He has sung over 500 songs, including in films, ballets and drama. Most of his songs are melodies. It is said that he was very selective about which songs he sang. Although 500 songs is not a lot for some of his caliber, they are outstanding in some ways--be it the lyrical depth or superb rendition. In recognition of his contribution in the field of Nepali music, he has received several national honors and awards, Trishakti Patta, Chinnalata Puraskar to name a few.

Continued sales of his albums attest to his immense popularity. Even more than a decade after his death, his songs are equally liked, loved and sung.His legacy lives on. Current sensation, Ram Krishna Dhakal, a very popular singer, sang Narayan Gopal's songs and modelled his singing style after him when starting his career.

Below is a translation (in part) of one of his most famous songs, "Kehi mitho baata gara" (Say a few sweet words), used with permission of Suckypoetssociety:

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
Nepali Person of the Day for October 8,2007
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 07:34:42 AM »
Nepali Person of the Day for October 8,2007

(b. 1909 in Kathmandu, d. 1959), was a Nepali poet. He is best known for the poem "Muna Madan."
Early life

Devkota was the third son of Pandit Tila Madhav and Amar Rajya Laxmi Devi. He was born in Thatunati (now Dhobidhara), Kathmandu on the day of the Festival of Lights, which is a celebration of the Goddess of Wisdom and Learning.

He showed poetic genius from a very tender age. When he was ten years old, he wrote the following couplet:
?    Brother, this world's a great sea of tribulations.

We all have to die. Be not arrogant.
   ?

Although this was in keeping with the Hindu way of thinking, the young poet surprised his family and relatives with this outburst. Later, he was to introduce Romanticism into Nepali literature and influence a whole generation of Nepali writers. He would continue developing as a modern poet with a powerful voice of his own and claim a literary stature in Nepal that many seek to emulate.

He preached charity and forgiveness, succor and compassion. One day, as he was walking back home from work, a beggar approached him for some money. Seeing him shiver in the cold, Devkota took off the coat he was wearing and gave it to the beggar.

When Devkota was born in 1909, the country was ruled by the Rana oligarchy. The Rana administration was against mass education, but after many trials, his family enrolled him at Durbar School, the only school in the Kathmandu Valley. Devkota wrote his first poem at this school, and it is said that he used to recite his poems before his friends and teachers. Many times his friends did not believe he had written such excellent poems, but all his teachers were greatly impressed with the young prodigy.

In 1925, Devkota enrolled in the science program at Tri-Chandra College. After completing his Intermediate of Science degree, he switched to arts. He received his bachelor's degree in arts in 1929 and went to Patna, India, in 1931 on a scholarship hoping to study English for his Master's degree. Since there were no seats available in the English program, he studied law. he is known as MAHAKAVI in neplese literature.

Family life

After he received his bachelor's of law, he returned home and endured a series of personal crises. His mother, father, and two-month old daughter died within two years. Those tragic events shattered him and, probably, led him to become a chain smoker. In later years, the premature death of two of his young sons, Prakash and Krishna, caused him more misery. A series of such tragedies seriously ruffled his mind. Although he was in full control of himself, his poetic sensibility was misunderstood by the less sensitive people around him who dispatched him to a mental institutionfor treatment. The psychiatrist at Ranchi labeled him a "geographical mistake."

To add further misery, by 1958, Devkota was diagnosed with cancer and three inches of cancerous duodenum was removed in Calcutta,India, but he knew death was approaching him, so he stayed up late into the night to continue his writing. One year later, he died.

He wrote to a friend while he was in Santa Bhawan Hospital, "Death stands before me. I search for constellations in the sky but can find none. I cannot give peace to myself. If I could rise, I would kill myself and my children."

Laxmi Prasad Devkota was primarily a humanist who occasionally wrote from an atheistist point of view too. Some critics have mistaken his intellectual querries for atheism and have tried to line him up with Marxism or other similar politically leftist ideologies. This is why such critics were shocked when he dictated one of his last poems to a friend, "Aakhir Shree Krishna rahecha eka" (" in the end, Lord Krishna happens to be the only truth").

Career

Devkota has contributed to Nepali literature by bringing the Sanskrit tradition to its apex and by starting modern romantic movement in the country. He was a versatile and prolific writer, who left no branch of literature untouched in the course of his brief career. He has written numerous epics, long narrative poems, essays, stories, plays, novels, songs, and criticisms. His essays read like poetry and are much admired for both content and style. Devkota was the first to begin writing epics in Nepali literature and his magnum opus "Muna-Madan" remains a best seller even fifty years after his death. He also served as Nepal's Education Minister, and was a professor at Tri-Chandra College.

Devkota had the ability to write poems very quickly -- he wrote the Shakuntal in three months, the Sulochana epic in 10 days and Kunjini in a single day. Nepali poetry soared to new heights with Devkota's groundbreaking poetry. "Muna-Madan," a long narrative poem in popular folk metre, begins the end of the Sanskrit tradition in Nepali literature. "Pagal" ["Mad"] is another of his ground-breaking works.

Devkota was born on the night of Gai Puja, when Laxmi, the goddess of wealth, is honored. Seeing this as an omen, Devkota?s parents named him after the goddess. It was an omen indeed, but of a different kind. In Nepal, Laxmi is seen as a bitter rival of Saraswati, the goddess of education and learning. Saraswati is displeased if a person is wealthy. On the other hand, Laxmi is not inclined to grant favors to those whose main pursuit is learning. As it turned out, the rivalry between the two goddesses was played out in Devkota?s life. He was known as Mahakabi, the great poet, and lived and died a poor man.

When Devkota was born in Dillibazaar, Kathmandu, in 1909, the country was ruled by the Rana oligarchy. The Rana administration was not enthusiastic about educating the masses, so the permit to study was a privilege. Devkota?s family went through a lot of trouble to enroll him at Durbar School, the only school in the Kathmandu Valley. Devkota wrote his first poems at school. He is said to be a quiet student who preferred reading and writing. He proved to be an excellent pupil and was married at the age of fifteen while at school.

After graduating from school with high marks, Devkota enrolled in the science program at Tri Chandra College in 1925 and began to read English poetry. Writers of the romantic era were a particularly strong influence on Devkota and he incorporated some of their themes in his work. Devkota completed his Intermediate of Science degree and switched to arts. He received his bachelor?s degree in arts in 1929 and went to Patna, India, and was impressed by the libraries he saw there. He and his friends then wrote a letter to the Rana prime minister requesting permission to open a library in Kathmandu. Since the administration took a dim view of providing uncensored information, Devkota and his friends were put in prison. They were released after paying heavy fines.

In 1931, Devkota went back to Patna on scholarship hoping to study English for his Master?s degree. But seats were not available so he studied for the Bachelor of Law degree instead. After he received the degree, he returned home and felt the first shocks of poverty that would trouble him for the rest of his life. Despite tutoring to supplement his earning, sometimes for fourteen hours a day, financial problems never left him. Muna Madan was among the creations of this time. The book challenged Sanskrit scholars who dominated the Nepalese literary scene. While these scholars determined good poetry as those following the Sanskrit form, Muna Madan was based on the jhaurey folk tune. The book received recognition from the Ranas and a significant purse of Rs. 100.

The mid-thirties were a terrible time for Devkota: his mother, father, and a two-month old daughter died within two years. Devkota was never a smoker at school or college, but when he learned to smoke, he became a chain smoker. He was exceedingly nervous and began to complain that everything hurt him. His brothers were worried enough to put him in a mental hospital in Ranchi, India, for five months in 1939.

In 1943 Devkota was selected to represent writers in the Nepal Bhasanuwad Parishad, a state organization that acted as a censorship board. He wrote a lot during this time and tutored for long hours. He complained that people asked him for a thirty-two hour day. He wrote his first epic, Shakuntala, in three months. It is said that Puskar Shumshere Rana challenged him to write another epic in thirty days and Devkota responded by handing him the manuscript of his second epic, Sulochana, in ten days. Both epics are considered among the best works of Nepalese literature. Most of his work was unconventional. He had a habit of inventing new words to suit his poetic requirements. At times his more conservative colleagues resented his taking so many liberties with the language. Devkota became a professor at Tri-Chandra College in 1946. He left Nepal without any obvious reason and worked in exile in Benaras, India. He was editor of Yugbani, an opposition paper. He also wrote Pahadi Pukar, a book that addressed people?s poverty in Nepal. The book was banned in Nepal.

The Ranas invited him back to the country. After the democratic movement was successful, he helped publish Indreni, a bilingual journal, and was a part of the influential Royal Nepal Academy. Financial troubles followed him throughout these years. Part of the problem was his generous nature. He gave money to people who came to him with hard luck stories. One cold winter day he gave the coat he was wearing to a beggar shivering at the roadside.

Even as he was having financial worries, he was getting high appreciation and by 1957, he had become minister of education though he was an active politician. At this time he suffered from what doctors at first thought was gastric ulcer. By 1958, cancer was diagnosed and since Devkota did not have enough money (his salary was held back by the Royal Nepal Academy for visiting the former USSR as a representative of writers without informing the king), King Mahendra gave him Rs. 5,000 after complaints in the local papers and the Indian Embassy provided air transportation for him to go to India for treatment. Three inches of cancerous color was removed.

Devkota knew before his death that the end was approaching and stayed up late into the night to continue his writing. He wrote to a friend while he was in Santa Bhawan Hospital, ?Death stands before me. I search for constellations in the sky but can find none. I cannot give peace to myself. If I could rise, I would kill myself and my children.?

There was much pain towards the end of his life and perhaps this explains his bitterness. So that was how, even though everyone appreciated him, Devkota died in 1959 in sorrow, thinking that he achieved nothing. He asked that Muna Madan be preserved even if all his other works faded away. Muna Madan is the most popular of Nepalese works today and though Devkota felt himself a beggar towards the end of his life, he is revered by his country people as a god of Nepalese literature.

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
Nepali Person of the Day
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 08:05:33 AM »

Ganesh Man Singh
Ganesh Man Singh (Nepal Bhasa:गणेशमान सिंह) was the commander of Nepalese democratic movement of 1990 AD. He was the first Asian to receive United Nations Human Right Award. He is one of the most revered politicians of Nepal. He is the only person ever in the history of Nepal to refuse to become the Prime Minister when requested by the monarch and supported by the people and is known as the Father of Democracy in Nepal.

Early life

He was born in November 9, 1915[1] in Itumbahal, Kathmandu. His father was Gyan Man Singh and mother Sanunani Shrestha Singh. His father died when he was young. So, his grandfather, Ratna Man Singh (who was Badakaji in Rana regime) took care of him.

He studied in Durbar High School] till class 6 when he was resticated from the school for not respecting his fellow Rana students [2]. He then went to Calcutta to study where he completed his matriculation from Vidyasagar College in first division [3]. He studied till I.Sc. then returned back to Nepal in B.S. 1994.

Early political life

As soon as he got back to Nepal, he started protesting against the autocratic rulers of Nepal. He came in contact with martyr Dharma Bhakta Mathema and joined Praja Parishad, the first political party of Nepal[4]. He got married with Mangala Devi Singh in B.S. 1997. Three months after his marriage, he was arrested for his involvement in Praja Parishad. He was sentenced to life imprisonment for his democratic activities.
Life

Ganesh Man Singh was the symbol and synonym of the Democratic Movement of Nepal. Mr. Singh, who had already become a legend even during his youth because of his indomitable courage and iron will, had become great source of energy and inspiration for six decade long struggle for democracy. During the span of forty years, Mr. Singh had provided leadership to two revolutions-one for the ushering in of the democratic system and the other for its restoration. Miraculously escaping the gallows three times during his life and imminently qualified to become the prime minister of the country, he was offered prime ministership but he graciously rejected the offer and opted to remain for ever in the midst of the people. He was instrumental in transforming the subjugated people of Nepal into a sovereign citizen, leading medieval Nepal into the modern times. His memory will ever be cherished in the heart of the people as the supreme leader who provided unchallenged leadership to the struggle for democracy in Nepal. It is hard to find a parallel to him in the history of the world struggle for democracy. Recognizing his outstanding contribution in the field of Human Rights, Mr. Singh was honored by the United Nations with ?Human Rights Award? in 1993. He is the first Statesman from South Asia to receive this prestigious award.

Ganesh Man Singh was a statesman with revolutionary vision. He was for the people of Nepal and the soul of the nation found expression through his speeches. His life was an unparalleled example of sacrifice, penance and struggle. In a period of 60 years of active politics, Mr. Singh spent his 16 years in prision and 14 years in Exile. Even after the establishment of democracy in the country, he was active in bringing about economic revolution, for, he believed that without economic revolution, democracy would remain incomplete and till his last days, the staunch nationalist in Mr. Ganesh Man Singh, endeavoured for the consolidation of democracy, development and institutionalization of democratic culture, social justice and prosperity.

Ganesh Man Singh had received the ?United States Peace Run Prize? in 1990 for his contribution to peace in Nepal and the world and his leadership quality. He was also decorated by the ?U Thant Peace Award?.

Offline ReSi

• wln Friend
    • Welcome Welcome Welcome
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 06:59:22 PM »
person of the day ma parne sampurna nepali daju vai didi bahini haru lai mero pani utar utar pargati ka sath bada dasain ko subhakana chha
तपाईहरू सँग मिलेर खुशी बाड्‌न चाहन्‍छु
http://residesi.blogspot.com

Offline Kharane

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 01:10:03 AM »
Yo of the day continuty nahola jasto cha ni bro ..?
Mero ni term aaula ki bhanne lagya thyo .. khai...LOL

Offline NOn SMOKER

• Earn money just by reading the mailsvisit web sites and much more. It's free to join and easy to sign up! CLICK THIS
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:57 AM »
we need more people like him.....

Offline Kharane

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 04:50:35 AM »
Yeah Manish
Like them .

Offline haku Black

• alchi ko pinda
  • nepali
    • sports unlimited
Nepali Person of the Day PRACHANDA
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:31 AM »

Prachanda (Devanagari: प्रचण्ड pracaṇḍa, born Pushpa Kamal Dahal on December 11, 1954) is the leader of the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist). He is also the leader of People's Liberation Army (PLA), the military wing of CPN (M). Under his leadership, CPN (M) launched the Nepalese People's War on the 13th of February 1996, in which about 13,000 Nepalis were killed.

Prachanda's extension of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism to take specific account of Nepal's situation is known as the Prachanda Path.

"Prachanda" is his nom de guerre; it means "the fierce one".

Personal life and early career

Prachanda spent much of his childhood in the Chitwan District in Nepal. His family are reported to have been Brahmins of modest means. He received a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSc-Ag) from the Institute of Agriculture and Animal Science (IAAS) in Rampur, Chitwan, and was reportedly once employed at a rural development project sponsored by USAID, the project site being Jajarkot.[1]

He became general secretary (party leader) of the Communist Party of Nepal (Mashal) in 1986. This party, after a number of permutations became the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist).

Prachanda lived underground even after the restoration of democracy in 1990. Until then a little-known figure, he controlled the clandestine wing of the party, while the parliamentary representation in the United People's Front was headed by Dr. Baburam Bhattarai. Since 1996, Prachanda has become internationally known as the leader of the CPN (M) military wing and its overall leader.

The Maoist insurrection
On February 4, 1996, Bhattarai gave the government, led by Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba, a list of 40 demands, threatening civil war if they were not met. The demands related to "nationalism, democracy and livelihood" and included such line items as the "domination of foreign capital in Nepali industries, business and finance should be stopped", and "discriminatory treaties, including the 1950 Nepal-India Treaty, should be abrogated", and "land under the control of the feudal system should be confiscated and distributed to the landless and the homeless."[2] After that, and until 26 April 2006, Prachanda directed the military efforts of the CPN (M) towards establishing areas of control, particularly in the mountainous regions and western Nepal.

The 40 demands were whittled down to 24 in subsequent political negotiations
Relations with Bhattarai

In late 2004 or early 2005, relations between Prachanda and Bhattarai soured. [4] This was reportedly due to disagreement on power sharing inside the party. It was reported that Bhattarai was unhappy with the consolidation of power under Prachanda.But in reality it was not like that the the news which came in public media houses. It has since been reported that they have reconciled their differences

Twelve point agreement
On November 22, 2005 Prachanda and the Seven Party Alliance released a "twelve-point agreement" that expressed areas of agreement between the CPN(M) and the parties that won a large majority in the last parliamentary election in 1999. Among other points, this document stated that a dictatorial monarchy of King Gyanendra is the chief impediment to progress in Nepal. It claimed further that the Maoists are committed to human rights and press freedoms and a multi-party system of government. It pledged self-criticism and the intention of the Maoists and the Seven Parties to not repeat past mistakes

Ceasefires
Several ceasefires have occurred over the course of the Nepalese civil war. [8] Most recently, on April 26, 2006, Prachanda announced a ceasefire with a stated duration of 90 days. The move followed weeks of massive protests ?the April 2006 Nepalese general strike? in Kathmandu and elsewhere that had forced King Gyanendra to give up the personal dictatorship he had established on the February 1st, 2005, and restore the parliament that was dissolved in May 2002.

After that a new government was established by the Seven-Party Alliance. The parliament and the new government supported the ceasefire and started negotiations with the Maoists on the basis of the twelve-point agreement. The two sides agreed that a new constituent assembly will be elected to write a new constitution, and decide on the fate of monarchy. The Maoists want this process to end with Nepal becoming a republic

Interim government
Prachanda met for talks with Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala on June 16, 2006, in what was thought to be his first visit to the capital Kathmandu in more than a decade. This meeting resulted in an agreement to dissolve parliament, incorporate the CPN (M) into a new interim government, draft a new constitution, and disband the CPN (M)'s "people's governments" operating in rural Nepal. The two sides also agreed to disarm at a later date, under international supervision. On September 18, 2007, the CPN(M) pulled themselves out of the coalition government ahead of the Constituent Assembly election, demanding the declaration of a republic by parliament and a system of proportional representation in the election. The CPN(M) rejoined the government on December 30, 2007 after an agreement to abolish the monarchy following the election and to have a system of partial proportional representation in the election.

On January 25, 2008, the CPN(M) said that it wanted Prachanda to become President of Nepal when a republic is established.In the April 2008 Constituent Assembly election, he was elected from Kathmandu constituency-10, winning by a large margin and receiving nearly twice as many votes as his nearest rival, the candidate of the Nepali Congress.He also won overwhelmingly in Rolpa constituency-2, receiving 34,230 votes against 6,029 for Shanta Kumar Oli of the Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist).] With the CPN(M) appearing to have won the election, Prachanda pledged that the party would work together with other parties in crafting the new constitution, and he assured the international community, particularly India and China, that the party wanted good relations and cooperation. He also said that the party had expressed its commitment to multi-party democracy through the election.

Host By::Love Nepal Network SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use