Author Topic: tatoo culture  (Read 2132 times)

Offline soiamd

• daka
  • Project Manager
  • man taa mero nepali nai ho
    • Rapidshare File Search
tatoo culture
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:53:59 AM »
Tattoo is related with the living style and stage of social development of our ancestor.

Tattoo is related with the living style and stage of social development of our ancestor.

From the broad prospect of symbolism from anthropological point of view, any activity of mankind from their personal to social level reflect the significance of cultural values and meanings behind such activities. In this sense, we cannot deny the historical prospective behind the global practice of Tattoo. The term is called Khoot Lagaunu in Nepalese language. Though there is lack of unanimous opinion about the significance of Tattoo, it may also be seen from the prospect of philosophical reminisces deeply rooted with the development of human civilization. Besides, there are also different school of thought of religion and social perception related with the tattoo culture.

It has been widely accepted by the Oriental (eastern) as well as Western school of philosophical thought that human sacrifice was widely practiced to please the deities like Moloch as stated by Sir Bertrand Russell in his philosophical works and ex-Indian Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru in his publication widely known in Asian continent as ?Nehru?s letters?. Besides, it is also accepted by both the schools of thought (oriental & western) that human sacrifice was associated with social expectation to be emancipated from the natural calamities and grip of evil spirits. In this connection, there are several interesting things to be highlighted, which apparently relates with the concept and practice of tattoo as a part of culture.

The first interesting aspect is related with pre civilized human perception about the practice of sacrificing living body to the spirits and the physical quality of the sacrificial body. As per a social component of Nepalese society who believe and practice sacrifice to the deities, the body that is supposed to be sacrificed or bffered in the name of god must not contain any sort of symbol (wound, scar, spot, mole etc.) in the body. The social sub-group who believe on sacrificing animal and the trust which is continuing the tradition of selecting the Living Goddess Kumari may interpret more details in this regard.

For man, being a rational animal, it is obvious for him to be alert and afraid from death and accidents. In this scenes, it is logical that the ancient man was afraid of becoming victimized in the name of Moloch. Consequently, one of the family member of our ancestors might have adopted the technique of protecting themselves from the practice of Moloch. In order to achieve this, there may have emerged the concept of burning different part of human body. The statement can be supplemented by one of the school of thoughts of Hindu Philosophy which regard Brahmins only those who are burnt by conch shell in different part of body. Perhaps, this could be the reasons that till today the strict followers of Brahmanism at , least paste the sacred ash which is called but in different parts of their body. Besides, the tradition of piercing the ear and nose may ?also be linked with the question of survival.

From this prospect the concept of Tattoo seems to emerge with the expectation of protecting human beings from sacrifice. This opinion may also be rationalizyd by assuming the word Tattoo to be an abbreviation and interpreting each alphabet of the word with significance. From this point of view the alphabet T can be defined as technique, A as adopted, T as to, T as timely, 0 as oath for and the last 0 as onlook. The full meaning thus is: The technique adopted to escape from irrationality. The concept of the emergence of Tattoo fur1her can be rationalized even from the prospect of linguistic anthropology. It is because, as per the concept of linguistic science there are a lot of words, which are simultaneously used in different languages. There is still another example regarding Tattoo and self-protection. As I personally experienced during the sixties and seventies, there was fear and terror among the children of Kathmandu Valley from an unknown figure who used to steal children. It was notorious by the name of Gathe. I still remember, when I was around eight years old I had also heard about this so called Gathe. However, I was assured that I would be protected from the Gathe as a friend of mine advised me to make small scar on my nose scratching one hundred and one times by my own nail. We were told that Gathe would not kidnap children having scratch mark on their face.

Another aspect regarding Tattoo is related with the living style and stage of social development of our ancestor. As stated in one of the chapter of the Wonder Book, entitled as the Paradise of Children, a widely prescribed English book in Nepal at high school level in the decades of sixties and seventies, our ancestor must have been nomadic. During the period, as per the anthropological concept of socialization it was possible that children might have preferred to move with their peer group rather than with their family. This sort of  behavior could have created a long gap between the children and their parents to get together. Thus, in order to be able to identify their own children, the parents might have initiated the practice of Tattooing different part of their children.

The next aspect of Tattoo is related with the divinity and the concept of incarnation of God. It is not only Hindus but also the Christians and followers of other religions who also believe on the phenomena of re-incarnation of god and prophet. Review of religious scripts have indicated the fact that the re-incarnated individual will have the sign of their previous life or divinity.

Different conceptions have been found in this connection. However, Tattoo sketching among Hindu community of Nepalese people in their hand, mostly by mentioning the name of the incarnation of God Shiva & Vishnu as Om, Ram and Krishna etc. reflect this aspect.

Another philosophical aspect of Tattoo is related with the concept of art and beauty. This concept has been further strengthened by the eminent modern anthropologists like, Melvelie, D.J. Herskovits, who considers art, even as a component of decorating body and means of beauty. The present trend of sketching Tattoo for beauty in different part of body including the sexual parts especially among young people signifies the concept of Herskovit

Offline ń?ŰģĦŢŷĶĭĎ

• MAKE UR SMILE CHEAPER AND ANGER EXPENSIVE
Re: tatoo culture
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 05:40:44 PM »
good to know

Offline Eastern Media Solution

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
Nice Information Abt TATOO aahile ta JUMRE JAGALTE Mundre JAsko Pani Saaan bhako cha Tattoo
A Complete Solution of Digital Printing

Offline thenepalgallery

• a site of nepal, its places, religion, fetes, festivals  all in, one, in all
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:16:52 PM »
i also want to big tatoo of flying eagle @ back of my body

a site of nepal, its places, religion, fetes, festivals
all in, one, in all

Offline NEWROAD

• “You are what I never knew I always wanted”
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »
Different conceptions have been found in this connection. However, Tattoo sketching among Hindu community of Nepalese people in their hand, mostly by mentioning the name of the incarnation of God Shiva & Vishnu as Om, Ram and Krishna etc. reflect this aspect.

MAILE PANI SANO MAI OM TATTOO BANAYEKO THIYEN RE K... :pani
When I see you smile and know that it is not for me, that is when I will miss you the most.

Offline deadalive

• We Love Nepal
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »
even even i love to have a tattoo in my forearms and abd in nech ..but i have listen with many people.it may bring some problem to go abroad .is it true or not please reply so i can fulfill my wish to have it............

Offline quizzy

• We Love Nepal
    • chaina website mero :S
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »

maile ta ailesamma khali tyo pani tattoo matra haneko chu :D tyo chewing gum sanga aucha ni ani palm ma rakhni ani pachadi pani halera dalne............
INSTANT TATTOO :D
aai

Offline PokerNepal

• Any one up for chess??
    • www.pokernepal.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »
soi bhai aba timi ni hana tattooo  :Laughing:

grt post though !

Offline Patience

• We Love Nepal
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
MA ni tatoo hanney Soimd broda malai tapai hanedeney ho tatooo??
Visit Nepal 2011...Once is not Enough!!!

audrianna

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
hello friendssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Kia Amanti Power Steering Rack
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:54:01 PM by audrianna »

Offline artaddy77

• We Love Nepal
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
Besides, it is also accepted by both the schools of thought (oriental & western) that human sacrifice was associated with social expectation to be emancipated from the natural calamities and grip of evil spirits. In this connection, there are several interesting things to be highlighted, which apparently relates with the concept and practice of tattoo as a part of culture.

Offline alessiojohn

• We Love Nepal
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »
I just wish to have a heart tattoo on my back but I had heard there are many side effects of having tattoos...Is it true and if yes what are the remedies to prevent it????

Offline waxyhair856

• We Love Nepal
    • Pharmacy Everest
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:22:18 PM »
Tattoo in other culture signifies social prominence of a certain person, the more  tattoos he has,  the more prominent he is.

Host By::Love Nepal Network SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines Our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use